Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Uglies by Scott Westerfield



Uglies by Scott Westerfield
Genre: Young Adult Dysotopian
Source: Purchased by Myself
Series: Yes, Trilogy along with spin off, Book Number One of Four Total
Other Books: Pretties, Specials, Extras
Challenge: Yes, Off the Shelf


Uglies (Uglies, #1)
Everybody gets to be supermodel gorgeous. What could be wrong with that? 

Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for he

r license -- for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.
Uglies (Uglies, #1)But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world -- and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.
     For about a year, my friend had been telling me that I needed to read Uglies by Scott Westerfield.  I thought about it and figured I eventually would and stumbled upon a brand new copy at a garage sale and paid next to nothing for it.  The book then proceeded to sit on my shelf for another 6 months until it annoyed me to death that I had yet to read it so, I gave it a shot.  I am definitely glad that I did.
     Scott Westerfield’s writing is not a style that I’m used to.  It is written with a harsh and straight forward feeling.  It was very interesting.  If you have read Uglies, you probably know what I’m talking about but, if you haven’t here is the first line of the book: The Early Summer Sky was the color of cat vomit. Doesn’t it catch your eye?  It made me wonder why the narrator decided to describe the sky this way so I obviously continued reading! 
     When I started Uglies, I didn’t think that it would be filled with advanced technology, which was a bit silly of me because they are obviously technologically advanced enough to do the operation.  Anyway, I was very intrigued hearing about the technology in Tally’s world because it was a pleasant surprise.  They had hover boards, Bungee Jackets, and all sorts of cool inventions!  It was definitely interesting to hear Tally’s description of all this technology that could one day come to be.
     I definitely enjoyed the characters.  David was very intriguing, especially all of his secrets (Shh! No Spoilers!).  I really liked Maddy and Az also.  Tally, the protagonist had some very interesting aspects in her personality.  She was always trying to be a good friend but, as I like my characters, she was flawed.  Tally always had a hint of Selfishness, although it did seem like she was a very Dynamic character.  We also knew a lot about what she was feeling, even though the story was told in third person.
     I even enjoyed the setting of Uglies.  I loved learning about The Smoke, UglyVille, New Pretty Town, and the Burbs.  The Caste system was definitely thought provoking in the sense that you would be based upon your beauty.
     Overall, I really liked Uglies and I definitely urge you to check it out soon!
Final Grade:

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think of my post? Have you read any of the books I may have spoke about? Do you agree with what I said? Etc. I love hearing from my readers!!