Sunday, April 22, 2012

Explorer: The Mystery Boxes by Kazu Kibuishi

Explorer: The Mystery BoxesGenre: Young Adult/Middle Grade-Graphic Novel
Source: Finished Copy from Publisher
Series: 
No, Standalone
Challenge: Free Reads
Seven clever stories answer one simple question: what’s in the box?
Funny, fantastic, spooky, and suspenseful, each of these unique and beautifully illustrated 

short graphic works revolves around a central theme: a mysterious box and the marvels—or mayhem—inside. Artists include middle school favorites Kazu Kibuishi, Raina Telgemeier (Smile), and Dave Roman (Astronaut Academy), as well as Jason Caffoe, Stuart Livingston, Johane Matte, Rad Sechrist (all contributors to the groundbreaking comics anthology series Flight), and upcoming artist Emily Carroll.


    I recieved this book in the mail as a surprise.  I had never heard of it before and had never recieved anything from this publisher before, so I was excited to recieve it.  After flipping through the book, I noticed that it was a graphic novel which made me even more excited!  I had never read a graphic novel before so, for my first graphic novel, I enjoyed it!
    All the illustrations were fun and creative and I enjoyed looking at them.  Pictures are always a fun way to tell a story.  I was able to finish the entire book in less than 40 minutes, which was great because I haven't had much time to read lately.  It was a nice light read.  One thing that I didn't really enjoy about the book was that it was an anthology, so each story was really short.  Once I started getting to know the characters, the story would end.  I felt like the stories should've been a bit longer and allowed for more character development.  I also thought that some of the loose ends in the stories weren't tied up in the end.
     Overall, I enjoyed this book.  The graphics were fun to look at and the stories were all unique.  I didn't appreciate the shortness of some of the tales but, I still enjoyed all of them.  This is great to pick up on a rainy day.  You should be able to finish it in less than an hour :)


Final Grade:


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think of my post? Have you read any of the books I may have spoke about? Do you agree with what I said? Etc. I love hearing from my readers!!